Re: IO and CPU cost - direct path read

From: Martic Zoran <zoran_martic_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 00:56:22 -0700 (PDT)

Jaromir,

Thanks a lot for the response.

You were right about the different parallelism because in trying to copy SQL's I left out 2 in on of the tests like this:

select /*+ full(x) parallel(x) */ count(*) from x;

I am sometimes just stupid monkey :)

Of course on 24 CPU machine you can imagine what is Oracle using for default parallel parameters :)

Both ways of writing hints are described by Oracle and are valid.
I am almost always using , style. Not sure why I did it differently here, sometimes you just like to do it differently.

One of the driving forces to be creative is to not have usual daily things done the same way, at least that is what is written in the books.
The famous Edison who invented the bulb did not want to hire anybody who salted the soup before trying it first. It was so robot behaviour to him, no thinking :)
I believe that we are all doing similar things from time to time when the cost of doing it differently is higher then just to be lazy.

My mistake here is tipical example of copy/paste technique in IT where even the same person can make the mistake.

Regards,
Zoran

Yahoo! Mail
Stay connected, organized, and protected. Take the tour: http://tour.mail.yahoo.com/mailtour.html