RE: (NEW) very interesting thing about migrate db from different OS(oracle 9.2.0.4,not 10G)

From: Marquez, Chris <CMarquez_at_aarp.org>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 10:06:55 -0500

I personal don't have first hand experience wih this but... a while back on another list there was a long thread on the very subject.

Seems it all has mostly to do with "Little Endian" vs. "Big Endian". http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/b/big_endian.html

Once of the dba's on the list promised that he regularly moved (copied)=20 his Oracle database on windows x86 (NTFS?) to Red Hat Linux x86 (EXT3?).

I never got the time to try it.

I do remember that several people on the list (smarter than I) explained clearly that=20
it was NOT the file system type that makes the difference but "Little Endian" vs. "Big Endian" issue.

hth

Chris Marquez
Oracle DBA
HEYMONitor(tm) - heymonitor.com