FW: My opinion about Millsap's book

From: DENNIS WILLIAMS <DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 19:14:22 -0500

Juan

    If you want a free 10046 trace summarizer, try tracer.pl available at http://brainshed.com/software/ No guarantees, but seems good enough to hack around and learn a little about 10046 traces. Someone else on this list mentioned it awhile back, but I can't recall who. Sorry.

    I think when you really, really need to know what is going on in an Oracle application, Cary's method is the undisputed champion. There are easier methods that may solve many performance problems, but then you may only be guessing and making assumptions. If you are in a situation where it is better to be fast than right, then a different method may work fine.

    I think Cary has put many, many hours into perfecting his Hotsos profiler and has every right to enjoy the fruits of his labors, just like you deserve to get paid for your work. Eventually Oracle will probably include a good profiler with the database and that will settle that.

Dennis Williams
DBA
Lifetouch, Inc.