options for read only mirror with 10g SE or SE One

From: Marc Slemko <identd_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2004 14:28:33 -0700

I'm sure this is a fairly common desire, however I haven't found any good answers yet. We have some applications that do not yet demand any of the scalability, availability or performance features of enterprise edition, except that we want a way to have a read only copy of the database on a physically separate machine.

The requirements for the copy:

The current business requirements for this application make using enterprise edition a very hard sell from the cost perspective right now, just to get the ability to have some type of read only replicated/standby/etc. database. This is especially true given that Microsoft SQL Server includes reasonably usable replication support in their standard edition. However, there is a possibility of future requirements justifying Oracle EE, and a general desire to use Oracle for the application for ease of future scaling and migration.

Options I am aware of:

Any other suggestions?

Thanks.