Re: HI

From: Jared Still <jkstill_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 07:43:52 -0700

On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 15:41:34 +1000, Mark Richard <mrichard_at_transurban.com.au> wrote:

> The where clause must be processed first - since it removes atomic records
> of data. Next the group by has to be applied to determine the values of
> max(sal). This allows the having clause to be applied (which I tend to
> think of as "where clauses applied after group by"). Finally the order by
> can be applied to ensure the result set appears in the desired order.

After recent discussions on this list regarding nested sub-queries, don't assume that Oracle will always process the WHERE clause first.

(Check the archives )

The simple query in the previous post won't be a problem, but it is nonetheless a dangerous assumption.

Jonathan Gennick where are you? - care to comment?

Jared