RE: 10Gb experience

From: <chris_at_thedunscombes.f2s.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 08:57:45 +0100

Paula,

You could also try "Core Python Programming - Chun" which I've found very helpful.
Regards Oracle and Python I use an open source DB driver called cx_Oracle. I've found it very good and the developer is very responsive to feedback, requests etc.

Mladen is right that there are more people using Perl with Oracle than Python with Oracle. Consequently there are more books etc. re Perl/Oracle (e.g. Jared's great book which I have) than Python/Oracle (I'm not aware of any books on Python and Oracle combined).

However I've chosen to use Python over Perl for a medium-sized Oracle project because I felt that for what I was doing Python was the better choice despite my comments above.

If you are making a choice between Perl and Python there a plenty of short papers / discussions to be found on the various merits, strengths / weaknesses of Perl compared to Python. Google "Python vs Perl" and alike should give you plenty of food for thought. There are some situations when Perl is the right choice and some when Python is. The choice is yours.

All I can say is do a bit of research first before you decide.

HTH Chris

PS These are my thoughts/feelings etc. and I'm not after war.

Quoting Paula_Stankus_at_doh.state.fl.us:

> Absent any python developers - I am going to try that mailing list. =20
>
> Thanks,
> Paula

Chris Dunscombe

Christallize Ltd