RE: Useful Oracle books - C.J. Date theory vs. practicality

From: Michael Milligan <Michael.Milligan_at_ingenix.com>
Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 15:04:07 -0500

Please don't take further discussion offline. This is fascinating, and as Date himself said "Theory is practical!". I believe this discussion is very relevant to what most of us do for a living.

As an aside, one article of Date's I particularly enjoyed was "Tables with No Columns", Writings 1991-1994, p 45.

The truth is, it DOES all start in the data model, and many of the uses we make of NULLs are due to insufficient attention paid to it. Every abstraction of the data model from "reality" requires a corresponding adjustment in the interpretation of the data. There is no getting around it. A person may say that it is worth it for performance or other reasons, but it is undeniable that an adjustment will be made by someone: the developer coding around it, or the user writing "notes" about it, or the customer who gets confused and frustrated, then goes elsewhere.

I believe the most important point made was to model out all of the multiple-meaning NULL values in the data model that you possible can. It's hard work. It means going back to the users and asking them to define things they don't want to put forth the energy to define. However, if it's not done, the database will reflect neither "reality" nor the way the company wants to do business. As I said, someone, many people, will end up paying a price for modelers and developers straying from correct principles.

Michael Milligan
Oracle Certified Professional DBA
PowerTrak DBA Field Group
Ingenix, Inc.