RE: ora-4031 & large_pool

From: Craig Munday <Craig.Munday_at_au.gi-de.com>
Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 13:00:41 +1000

Ryan,

Just because you are using connection pooling, it DOES NOT mean that you are using XA. Similarly, just because you are using XA it does not mean that you are using a connection pool. This is largely application server dependent so you should check what your app server does.

If your transactions call components (eg EJBs) that all run within the same address space (or process) it is possible for an application server to ensure that the same (non-XA) connection is "retrieved" from the connection pool each time a component asks for one. JBoss works this way.

Of course if your application makes calls to components that exist within difference address spaces (processes or servers) you will have to configure XA to ensure that your transactions execute within the same context.

Craig Munday
Software Development Manager
Giesecke & Devrient Australasia P/L, 32 Birnie Ave, Lidcombe 2141 Phone: +61 2 9646 6200 Fax: +61 2 9749 1678 Craig.Munday@au.gi-de.com http://www.gdaus.com.au