sequences and order by

From: david wendelken <davewendelken_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 6 May 2004 16:34:15 -0700 (PDT)

I've been coding pl/sql for 16 years or so and just ran into something today that surprised me.

I was doing a standard Insert into ... select ... from ... statement.

I had a sequence_name.nextval in the select clause and an order by clause on the select statement.

Oracle wouldn't accept the use of the NEXTVAL with an ORDER BY.

Has it always been that way?

Have I really coded hundreds of complex programs and just never run into that before?