Re: statement tuning ?

From: Tim Gorman <tim_at_sagelogix.com>
Date: Mon, 03 May 2004 12:18:08 -0600

If the column CUST_STAT_CD is indexed, then it would represent a potential method of quickly gaining access to the relevant rows in what is presumably a large table.

However, if the hard-coded value of "Active" is a popular data value (i.e. = a
large number of rows associated with the data value), then the method of using an index would not be very efficient. Indexes work best with unpopular data values (i.e. small number of rows associated with data value).

So, my recommendation implied that the poster should research about whether the value of "Active" was popular or unpopular. If it is an unpopular value, then it would make sense to see if an index would help. If it is a popular value, then the presence of an index would be a hindrance.