Re: Problem with understanding Optimization methods.

From: Daniel Fink <Daniel.Fink_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2004 12:49:25 -0800

Eva,

Any chance this system is CPU-bound? I have seen similar problems when cpu-intensive operations are performed. Another thought is to check your temporary tablespace settings. When in doubt, <okay list, repeat after me...> "Do a 10046, level 8 trace"

Execution plan 1 does a sort which will use the temp tablespace and be cpu intensive.
Plan 2 is probably reading the data in sorted order (without seeing the exact table/index info this is a guess), which does not require a sort.

IIRC, an index will be considered when the ORDER BY clause is invoked to remove the need for a separate sort operation.

Daniel Fink

Author: Daniel Fink
  INET: Daniel.Fink_at_Sun.COM