RE: encrypt back-up data

From: DENNIS WILLIAMS <DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM>
Date: Fri, 02 Jan 2004 09:24:26 -0800

David - I haven't heard of this feature in Oracle. For one thing, there are many ways to back up Oracle data. Many of these methods are simply direct O.S. file copies. But most O.S.'s offer a file encryption utility that you could easily incorporate into your backup script. But if you choose to do this, be sure to test the recovery. Some utilities try to be helpful and remove "wasted" space in files. Oracle relies on the file being exactly what it created, empty space and all.

Dennis Williams
DBA
Lifetouch, Inc.
dwilliams_at_lifetouch.com

Author: Ehresmann, David
  INET: David.Ehresmann_at_ps.net

Author: DENNIS WILLIAMS
  INET: DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM
To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Fri Jan 02 2004 - 11:24:26 CST