Risk of knowing password hash value (Was: OEM permissions)

From: Yong Huang <yong321_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2003 08:29:34 -0800

Hi, Gregory,

I only have access to Oracle 9.2 on my laptop. Here's my test. I have ORCL and AUX1 databases, the latter created by RMAN DUPLICATE some time ago. I logon AUX1 as SYSTEM. Set SYSTEM password hash value to the same as in ORCL. Create link L to ORCL without password. Selecting from a table in ORCL @L (i.e. select * from yongtest_at_l) throws ORA-1017 invalid username/password.

Alternatively, I logon as SYS and create a procedure owned by SYSTEM, with one line execute imediate('select count(*) from yongtest_at_l'). When I execute system.<this procedure> as SYS, I get ORA-1005 null password given. (I could use DBMS_SYS_SQL but using the execute immediate trick obviates the need to remember the syntax in that undocumented package).

If I use connect to current_user to create the link, I always get ORA-28030 Server encountered problems accessing LDAP directory service.

Could you try on your databases and show how you do it? As I said, this may be a security problem. I'm just too ignorant of it and can't reproduce it for now.

Yong Huang

Norris, Gregory T [ITS] wrote:

There's no reason I can see that he couldn't create the dblink first, and then reset the password using the encrypted value. Alternately, the dblink could be

created using the DBMS_SYS_SQL package... no knowledge of the current password required.

	create database link foo
	   connect to current_user
	   using 'bar';

Author: Yong Huang
  INET: yong321_at_yahoo.com
To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Mon Dec 22 2003 - 10:29:34 CST