Re: Oracle Data Guard

From: Carel-Jan Engel <cjpengel.dbalert_at_xs4all.nl>
Date: Tue, 09 Dec 2003 13:59:25 -0800

Hi Vi,

regards, Carel-Jan
At 15:54 8-12-03 -0800, you wrote:

Hi Carel,

What if 50% of tables doesn't have Primary/Unique
keys, how it is going be with LSB then? Can you please
explain more.

with thanks,
Vi
-

--- Carel-Jan Engel <cjpengel.dbalert@xs4all.nl>
wrote: > Comments inline

> At 14:54 8-12-03 -0800, you wrote:
> >Hi Carel,
> >
> >That is good help, can you please send me the pdf
> that
> >  you implemented there then.
>
> Was on its way already
>

> >            Tell me one thing I agree that we some
> >times
> >(rather most of the time ) generate less redo so
> we
> >should be smooth. Can you tell me is there any
> >releation  between LSB and Primary keys, I read
> like
> >LCR(logical Change Request) is based on Primary
> keys
> >as It does not depends on Transaction at that time.
>
> Because LSB 'reverse engineers' SQL from the redolog
> info, it needs to get
> hold of the right rows. The rows get
> inserted/updated/deleted, and _a_
> unique identification, not being the rowid, is
> required. So, every row
> needs to be uniquely identified.
>

> >Have you implemnented LSB successfully?
>
> Yes, using a PSB / LSB combination for standby and
> reporting purposes
> respectively.
>

> >with many thanks,
> >Vi.
> >
> >  --- Carel-Jan Engel <cjpengel.dbalert@xs4all.nl>
> >wrote: > Comments inline

> in

> be
> will
> > >
> > > It all depends on the amount of redolog you
> > > generate. When that's pretty
> > > much, you waste some resources by transporting
> > > online/archived redologs you
> > > actually don't need.

> > > many
> want
> be
> snapshots).
> > >
> > > So, they don't like nologging operations like
> > > truncate, not even on the
> > > standby database?

> > > Database.

> once
> > > in
> > > does
> 24*7.
> > >
> > > LSB might work, but do not consider the option
> of
> > > failing over to it. Be
> > > aware that, altough in maximum protection mode
> your
> > > redolog arrives at the
> > > SB system within the transaction, it doesn't get
> > > applied there instantly.
> > > SQL Application takes place _after_ the
> log-switch
> > > on the Primary. When you
> > > take 10 minutes of redolog, and perform a
> logswitch,
> > > the SQL Apply process
> > > might even take longer than 10 minutes to
> complete
> > > processing of the
> > > redologfile. There is a risk that not every
> > > transaction arrives within 20
> > > minutes at the LSB. So, your log-switching
> frequency
> > > and the amount of redo
> [...]
=== message truncated ===

BT Yahoo! Broadband - Save £80 when you order online today. Hurry! Offer ends 21st December 2003. The way the internet was meant to be. http://uk.rd.yahoo.com/evt=21064/*http://btyahoo.yahoo.co.uk
Author: =?iso-8859-1?q?Nalla=20Ravi?=
  INET: vvnrk2001@yahoo.co.uk

Fat City Network Services    -- 858-538-5051 http://www.fatcity.com
San Diego, California        -- Mailing list and web hosting services

DBA!ert, Independent Oracle Consultancy
Kastanjelaan 61C
2743 BX  Waddinxveen
The Netherlands