On Partitions

From: <mkline1_at_comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 09 Dec 2003 07:44:26 -0800

We have a data warehouse around 850gb.

I have a question on procedure.

We only keep 2 months data in several groupings by month, with 3 months "ready"..

So, say Nov is in M1 and Dec is in M2.

At the end of December, we will create an empty January which will go back into M1 and we will be tuncating and dropping November.

Question, we can hold empty months, so we could split the empty partitions early?

Now when it comes time to split the "December" partition and create the slot for January in M1, will that clobber the statistics in the December partition and will they need to be created again?

Would there be anything to gain by creating January in M1 when December in M2 is empty?

We are fortunate that the "loads" are one big load, then analyze like December when the time comes. Then there should be no more activity except reading. So once "loaded" and we analyze the partition for December, and if we had ALREADY split out January BEFORE that loading, do the stats stay consistent for the December partition and it does NOT have to analyzed once again? Or since we split out "January" and this split cause no records to leave the December partition because they have not been loaded yet, is this nothing to worry about?

Thanks.

--

Maks
13308 Thornridge Ct

  INET: mkline1_at_comcast.net

to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Tue Dec 09 2003 - 09:44:26 CST