RE: Clean temporary tablespace

From: Hemant K Chitale <hkchital_at_singnet.com.sg>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 05:54:25 -0800

Or you can
1. Create another Temporary Tablespace with CREATE TEMPORARY TABLESPACE <new_temporary_tablespace>
TEMPFILE ..... SIZE ... AUTOEXTEND ON NEXT .. MAXSIZE ... 2. Issue ALTER USER TEMPORARY TABLESPACE <new_temporary_tablespace> commands 3. If running 9.2 with a Default Temporary Tablespace, ALTER DATABASE DEFAULT TEMPORARY TABLESPACE <new_temporary_tablespace> 4. Check that there are no active sessions still using the existing Temporary Tablespace, querying V$SORT_SEGMENT and also use the Unix "fuser" command against the Temporary Tablespace Tempfiles
5. DROP TABLESPACE <current_temporary_tablespace> INCLUDING CONTENTS [add AND DATAFILES if using 9.2]
Note : Ensure that you really have no segments in the tablespace other than the temporary segment [ie, it is really
a temporary tablespace ! because the "DROP TABLESPACE" command syntax doesn't specify if it is a TEMPORARY
or PERMANENT tablespace]
6. Recreate your original Temporary Tablespace 7. Run through Steps 2 and 3 again to revert to the original Temporary Tablespace
8. Run Steps 4 and 5 to drop the <new_temporary_tablespace>

Because, bouncing or restarting the Database Instance isn't always an available option!

Hemant
At 12:05 AM 12-11-03 -0800, you wrote:
>Hi,
>
>Restartup your database if possible.
>
>If you set the datafile autoextent on then you have to recreate that
>tablespace,
>if you set it to not autoextent on for some query may fail due to not
>enough sorting space.
>

>Sinardy

Hemant K Chitale
Oracle 9i Database Administrator Certified Professional My personal web site is : http://hkchital.tripod.com