RE: Re: passing an array variable from a .Net middle tier to a da

From: Kevin Toepke <ktoepke_at_rlcarriers.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 12:04:26 -0800

Nope. I'm not a fan of .not.

Some of the reasons are the lack of power and flexibility of the exception handling. The inconsistencey of calls, the fact that you need to do a round-trip from the page to the server to do most tasks (Jscript is available, but there is no integration with the code-behind. Some of that may have to do with the fact I'm using VB.NET instead of C# or J#.

It isn't very integrated with the database or the browser. A database NULL is not convertable to a integer. And in the HTML code its the string "&nbsp;". In some cases you need to test for 3 values to test for "NULLness"

And most of all, other than early version of Forms 4.5, I've never had a tool loose so much of my code. If you aren't consistent in your use of the wizards and manual actions you run the risk of loosing your ASP code.

This may be windows specific, but within the last week I've found that the file locking is not reliable. That's right, I have simple code that shows that you can have 2 processes that can lock the same file at the same time! Email me offline and I'll send you the example. oracle-l_at_removethis.tuningoracle.com. Just remove the "removethis." from the address.

But, hey, it pays the bills.
Kevin

Author: <ryan_oracle_at_cox.net
  INET: ryan_oracle_at_cox.net