Re: memory usage by dbw very high

From: Sai Selvaganesan <ssaisundar_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2003 10:24:27 -0800

hi tanel and mladen
not every time a process is started does it swap but sometimes swapping does happen.(this is from the top o/p which shows a increase in the memory used in swap.).how do we check whether a single process swaps or not?

and the dbw process is using more % of memory than a couple of days back.(o/p pf ps aux). is this how linux kernel works or is there something else i can check.

thanks
sai
what is meant by OP,tanel..

Tanel Poder <tanel.poder.003_at_mail.ee> wrote: Thanks Mladen, that was a good tip about linux kernel enhancement, however OP still uses 2.4.9 as stated in original post.

I just wanted to know whether OP actually sees excessive paging or just memory being "full", the latter one, as you know, isn't really a problem.

Tanel.

> The whole thing comes as a consequence of using buffered I/O. New linux
> kernels (2.4.18 and later) have new memory management, which allows
> the kernel to grab more memory for buffers in periods of intense I./O
> activity. If you have a very active database on ReiserFS or Ext3, Linux is
> going to try to help you out by allocating more memory for the file system
> buffers, even by stealing pages from the active processes, which will, in
> turn. start paging. The only possible response is to eliminate the
buffered I/
> O and switch to non-buffered I/O. That is not so hard to do.
>
> On 2003.11.01 09:44, Tanel Poder wrote:
> > Just for clarification, do you actually see swapping when starting a new
> > process or you just guess linux would swap because you don't see "free"
> > memory in top output?
> >
> > Tanel.

is

Author: Tanel Poder