RE: Antw: RE: I wanna know how Oracle uses file organization in

From: MacGregor, Ian A. <ian_at_SLAC.Stanford.EDU>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 06:39:24 -0800

A B-Tree is not a binary structure, but an n-ary one. A true binary tree bifurcates, By that I mean Root node A connects to branch nodes C and D, Branch node C connects to branch nodes E and F. Branch Node D connects to branch nodes G and H and so forth. Each node is directly connected to two other nodes progressing from the root to the leaves.

This just is not true in a B-Tree. In a B-Tree the branching is not always two-way. Root node A may directly connect to nodes B, C and D. B may connect to E, F, G, H and I, C to J, K, and L, ands D to M, N, O, P, Q, R and S. The 7 connects form D to its child nodes are the most in this example. This tree is said to be of order 7.

See "The Art of Computer Programming" (Vol. 3 Sorting and Searching) by Donald Knuth.

The real mark of a B-Tree is that all leaves are at the same level. This is not usually true for a binary tree. You should understand the basic inserting and splitting process which makes the first statement possible.

I used to think that perhaps the B meant balanced. But the term balanced-tree refers to a structure first defined by two Russian mathematicians in a paper published 1962. The true B-tree was defined in 1970 and its structure published in 1972.

Ian MacGregor
Stanford Linear Accelerator Center
ian_at_SLAC.Stanford.edu

Author: Guido Konsolke
  INET: Guido.Konsolke_at_tkserv-triaton.thyssenkrupp.com

to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from).  You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing).
Author: MacGregor, Ian A.
  INET: ian_at_SLAC.Stanford.EDU