RE: New to DBA !

From: Branimir Petrovic <BranimirP_at_cpas.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 09:19:25 -0800

On Win2K the easiest way to hack your way back into the database is to log on as local administrator then run orapwd utility to re-create the password file (change working directory to ORACLE_HOME/bin then type orapwd and you'll see the full syntax).

New password file should be created in such a way as to be compliant with (or following) Oracle's defaults (be where Oracle expects to find it):

        ORACLE_HOME\database\PWD<YOUR_SID>.ora

If the password file was already there but you forgot the what that password is, rename existing password file to say PWD<YOUR_SID>.ora.old then create the new one:

orapwd file=C:\Oracle\Ora92\database\PWD<YOUR_SID>.ora

         password=<YOUR_NEW_PWD>

Using SQL*Plus:

        connect sys/<YOUR_NEW_PWD>@<YOUR_SERVICE> as sysdba then

        alter user sys identified by <YOUR_NEW_PWD> to synchronize sys'es password in data dictionary. After that - the business as usual.

Other way to achieve the same (hack back in) would be to fiddle with pfile, sqlnet.ora, and local ORA_DBA group in order to be able to use OS account to log on as SYSDBA and then 'alter user sys...'. But this way is a pain compared to simply 'blowing up' the old password file, creating the new one then re-synch-ing it.

Branimir

Author: Branimir Petrovic
  INET: BranimirP_at_cpas.com