Re: using temp tables for staging databases?

From: Binley Lim <Binley.Lim_at_xtra.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 06:24:39 -0800

I'm unclear how BBW is related to PCTUSED. PCTUSED is used to control when blocks are returned to the freelist due to deletions. Blocks already-off the freelist, and above PCTUSED, remain unavailable for inserts.

PCTUSED does not prevent a "block contains too many rows" -since a low PCTFREE will pack the rows tightly anyway. If BBW wait is a problem, then there are other causes. PCTUSED is not one of them, or at least should not be an attempted solution.

> I will also add to Tim's response of justifying a smaller PCTUSED. In
> addition to the freelist problem he mentioned, there is also a greater
> chance of buffer busy waits occuring when a block contains too many rows.
In

Author: Binley Lim
  INET: Binley.Lim_at_xtra.co.nz