CBO, RBO and will v5 ever really go away?

From: Bellow, Bambi <bbellow_at_chi.navtech.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2003 12:54:25 -0800

Friends --

I just got back from a week of benchmarking and one of the "issues" that came out of it was, due to some rather, um, interesting, coding techniques, running schema level statistics both wrecked performance *and* produced Oracle Bug 2954921. So we had to remove the statistics before running additional tests. Of course, RBO is being desupported soon, so we really ought to modify things. But, this brings up another issue. See, Oracle says, and here I am paraphrasing, of course, that...

RBO is going to die. We're not supporting it anymore. Nope. Once you get off of 9.2, that's it. Finito. Hasta la vista, Ba-bee. Well, no, it's not really going away. YET. It will still be behind the scenes for awhile. But sooner or later, it's going to die. You've been warned. This isn't going to be like Forms2.3. No. We're serious this time. We put in all these great features that y'all aren't using because your code is dependent on RBO and RBO can't use these features and that sucks because we really like these features. Now, we figure that a slim minority of people... maybe 20%... are still using RBO. 20%. Barely noticeable. (dinosaurs, grumble, grumble) Well, we're taking it away. We're going to drag you into the new millenium and you're going to use CBO. And you're going to like it. We'll leave RBO in there for awhile, but one day you'll wake up and it will be gone. Gone, I tell you, GONE! Just you wait. 5, 10 years from now, RBO will be a mere a memory. Just like Forms2.3. Oh, and that "select * from tab;" that you're doing every once in awhile to see if it still works, you just wait, someday *someday* we're going to take *that* away too. And you're just going to have to live with it. HAhahahaha!

So, what do you think? Will v5 ever really go away? And when will RBO just stop working?

Bambi.

Author: Bellow, Bambi
  INET: bbellow_at_chi.navtech.com

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Fri Oct 17 2003 - 15:54:25 CDT