Re: CLOB data

From: Mladen Gogala <mladen_at_wangtrading.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 13:39:39 -0800

This is because "ENABLE STORAGE IN ROW" is the default, which means that oracle will store the first 4000 bytes in the original block. The first part of a LOB is, essentially, identical to VARCHAR2(4000) or VARRAW(4000). If you say something like

CREATE TABLE t
  (

    ISCT_ID              NUMBER(10),
    CONTENT              CLOB

  )
  TABLESPACE UNDOTBS
  LOB(CONTENT) STORE AS LOB_CONTENTS (
           TABLESPACE SYSTEM
           DISABLE STORAGE IN ROW
           NOCACHE
           LOGGING)

/

You will not be able to do that any longer. You cannot, however, exceed 4000 characters (I'm not sure what happens if the characters are multibyte ones - may be Steve or Cary could help with that).

On 10/16/2003 04:54:26 PM, Nancy Hu wrote:
> I know Oracle provides us dbms_lob package to manipulate LOB data.
> However, I can use standard DML to manipulate CLOB data as following.
> Is there advantage to use dbms_lob package?
>
> SQL> CREATE TABLE t
> 2 (
> 3 ISCT_ID NUMBER(10),
> 4 CONTENT CLOB
> 5 );
>
> Table created.
>
> SQL> insert into t values(1, 'test');
>
> 1 row created.
>
> SQL> insert into t values(2, NULL);
>
> 1 row created.
>
> SQL> update t set content='test2' where isct_id=2;
>
> 1 row updated.
>
> SQL> select * from t;
>
> ISCT_ID CONTENT
> 1 test
>
> 2 test2
>
> SQL>

> Surf and talk on the phone at the same time with broadband Internet
> access. Get high-speed for as low as $29.95/month (depending on the
> local service providers in your area). https://broadband.msn.com
>

>--

>--

> Author: Nancy Hu
> INET: nancyhu68_at_hotmail.com

Mladen Gogala
Oracle DBA

Note:
This message is for the named person's use only. It may contain confidential, proprietary or legally privileged information. No confidentiality or privilege is waived or lost by any mistransmission. If you receive this message in error, please immediately delete it and all copies of it from your system, destroy any hard copies of it and notify the sender. You must not, directly or indirectly, use, disclose, distribute, print, or copy any part of this message if you are not the intended recipient. Wang Trading LLC and any of its subsidiaries each reserve the right to monitor all e-mail communications through its networks. Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, except where the message states otherwise and the sender is authorized to state them to be the views of any such entity.

Author: Mladen Gogala
  INET: mladen_at_wangtrading.com