Re: RE: Separate Indexes and Data

From: Rachel Carmichael <wisernet100_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 14:44:25 -0800

Richard,

Sorry for the confusion, let's see if I can clear it up a bit.

Background information:

our production database is monitored by a hosting company. This company will extend the datafile sizes if there is less than 20% free space in the tablespace. Each time they make a change, it counts against the total number we have "bought" for the month. If we go over that number, it's an additional charge. when they extend the datafiles, they extend them just enough to allow for 25% free space.

This is a data warehouse, with daily data loads. when the data is added to the index, there is a temporary drop in free space. So we allocate more space to the tablespace than we believe the index partition will use (it uses about 20GB, we allocate 40GB). This is what I mean by "overallocate". Index partitions are created with a default of pctfree=10. There are occasional deletes and re-inserts if the daily load does not run properly or the data sent to be loaded is incomplete. I do not have control over the load process.

Once the month has been loaded, there will be no more extension of the used space in the index partition. However, there is a lot of space that is not being used. We want to reclaim this space. So I rebuild the partitions, using a smaller pctfree. I then use the total space (from dba_data_files) minus the free space (from dba_free_space) to determine how much space is used. Calculate in a "hedge" for that silly rule of "at least 20% free space) and resize the data file down.

It may seem like a lot of work (it isn't, as I've automated it completely, down to figuring out which tablespace's data files should be resized) but it does reclaim the disk space. I recovered 130GB of space that I can use before having to ask (beg? plead? grovel?) the operations group for more disk.

Works for me. ..... Besides, it was fun to code it :)

Rachel

Do you Yahoo!?
The New Yahoo! Shopping - with improved product search http://shopping.yahoo.com
Author: Rachel Carmichael