RE: EMC Snapshot Technology

From: Gene Sais <Gsais_at_co.palm-beach.fl.us>
Date: Thu, 09 Oct 2003 06:39:24 -0800

Tom - I can do either a cold or hot backup. It is all scripted. I prefer cold backups. IBM did try to sell us TDP for Oracle, get this, to open the db on the backup server to back it up using RMAN. The files on the backup server are just that files, no need for Oracle utilities to back them up.

High Level Events of a Flash Copy Backup:

Advantages:

hth,
Gene

P.S. If you need more details, feel free to call me.

>>> "Mercadante, Thomas F" <NDATFM_at_labor.state.ny.us> 10/09/03 08:08AM >>>

Gene,

What happens when you need to perform a recovery from the Flashcopy backup?
Is Flashcopy done while the database is open or closed? If the database is open, then I assume that you would need to perform an incomplete recovery?

Just curious. I am in the middle of setting up new IBM/AIX boxes, and we will using either EMC or IBM Shark disk. Flashcopy was mentioned as a possible solution for backups. But I don't like being boxed in to performing an incomplete recovery.

Tom Mercadante
Oracle Certified Professional
Author: jwiegand
  INET: jwiegand_at_mn.rr.com