DB Link ---Reply

From: Siva Subramaniam <siva_at_HCLIND.HCLC-GGN.HCLA.COM>
Date: Wed Jan 3 23:29:44 1996

> For one production system we're creating a database link which requires us
> to store the userid/password of the owner account on another machine. We're
> afraid that when we eventually change the password of the remote owner, the
> database link will no longer work and the local application will fail.
>
> How can we get around this?
>
> -Ken

> Ken Anderson

Hi,

U haven't refered here whether U have to use the 'DATABASE LINK' only or not;

If your 'SELECT' statements require to randomly access "some" of your 'remote DB' or sometime 'remote DB' and sometime 'local DB', in that case I have no idea to resolve this;

But, If it is like, once U start accessing the 'remote DB' and only from that 'remote DB', then I have a solution;

U have to have an entry for your 'remote DB' in your local $ORACLE_HOME/network/admin/tnsnames.ora file.

It should say the 'connect string', the remote DB's IP add., and ORACLE_SID.

Once U have connected to the database like $sqlplus uid/pwd_at_connect_string, U will be able to access the 'remote DB' and only that DB.

Hope this helps, and If U got solution for the first case, Let us share it.

Regards,
Siva.

 [7m  [5mSivasubramaniam. E             [0m
 [7m Hcl Consulting Ltd.            [0m
 [7m Gurgaon. India.                [0m
 [7m e-mail : siva_at_hclind.hcla.com  [0m

REBIRTH -- Is it to attain our desire,
           That we wish in this BIRTH .?