RE: Cary's book[Scanned]

From: Bob Metelsky <bmetelsky_at_cps92.com>
Date: Fri, 03 Oct 2003 12:14:25 -0800

  A few years ago being an experienced DBA was a valuable commodity and we
really enjoyed that. But the managers were very frustrated by having to search hard for a DBA, pay spiraling salary demands, etc. I think some managers look on these times as their revenge. What some DBAs see as pay cuts the managers see as a return to sanity.

   Can anyone relate to this scenario?

Well, they may have their revenge now, (I certainly see that every day where I am for the past year or so) although I'm confident the tides will turn and we techies will once again rise.

What gets my gall is, so many managers think short term and would sell their own mother if it meant one more step up the ladder for then, while people like us pride ourselves on something solid like real skills, knowledge and experience that make the actual wheels turn. We can't cook the books like we have seen from our 'leadership'. That level of 'business skill' makes me sick.

Now our field is a primary victim of their short sightedness and greed. Oh sure... we are overpaid... right. It's an easy target but invalid and no doubt time will prove that.

Its funny, I attended the recent NYOUG (Rachael where were you???<g>) and Oracle was spouting about 10g being a one click install, everything self managing, self tuning..., self installing, I mean that's laughable!!! Sure it will "seem"/ "sold as" self managing... but how does one know what *IS* managed and what to to do in the event the "wizard" fails <grin>?

It's just marketing for the times. As soon as this economy gets on its feet
And it will get back, all this will be behind us and nothing but the lowest level work will be outsourced...

The times they will be a changing

TGIF!!
Bob

Author: Bob Metelsky
  INET: bmetelsky_at_cps92.com

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Fri Oct 03 2003 - 15:14:25 CDT