RE: RE: Separate Indexes and Data

From: Jesse, Rich <>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 10:09:32 -0800

I haven't been following this thread closely, but why are uniform extents no longer good for 9i?

> 8i databases. I stick with an uniform 5m extent size even
> though I have tables that can fit into 128k extents, but feel
> that the overall time savings by using 1 extent size makes up
> for this.
> unfortunately unlike most systems we cannot break up our
> tables into different tablespaces. We use transportable
> tablespaces to batch publish data to data marts. New
> tablespaces mean additional transportable tablespaces and
> more places for stuff to go wrong.
> I saw some posts on dejanews recently from some pretty
> experienced DBAs stating that there may be 'flaws' in
> auto-allocate leading to poor extent sizes that leads to

I don't believe it's a flaw, it's by design. At least according to Tom Kyte's new book (first chapter's on the web) it is, which is why I can't see me using it for our DBs.

> fragmentation. I believe Rachel Carmichael made a post on
> here a few months back with the similiar experience(could be
> wrong). Due to even the 'small' chance of flaws in
> auto-allocate, Im thinking of waiting for version 10g before
> using it. Just to be safe. Not worth risking a defrag on a
> production system.

Rich Jesse                           System/Database Administrator                  Quad/Tech Inc, Sussex, WI USA
Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ:
Author: Jesse, Rich

Fat City Network Services    -- 858-538-5051