RE: BAARF

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_dial.pipex.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 13:34:39 -0800

Cary writes

> It *is* a good idea to separate index data from heap data
> into different tablespaces. But the reason isn't solely to
> eliminate I/O competition. Even if I/O competition isn't an
> issue for you (and the OFA Standard doesn't say that it will
> be), then it's *still* a good idea to separate your index
> data from your heap data, for reasons including:
>
> * Index segments have different backup and recovery
> requirements than their corresponding heap segments. For
> example, as Peter mentioned, if you have an index block
> corruption event, then it's convenient to just offline, kill,
> and rebuild an index tablespace. If the indexes and data are
> mixed up in a single tablespace, this is not an option. Another
> example: If you construct your backup schedule to make media
> recovery time a constant, then you probably don't need to
> back up your indexes on the same schedule as you back up your
> heaps. But unless they're in different tablespaces, this
> isn't an option either.

Hmmm maybe I'm going to start having to rethink some stuff, when you and Howard agree and I disagree it seems likely I'm being dense. My concern goes

Indexes are largely built for one of two reasons

  1. to make performance acceptable.
  2. to enforce constraints.

In a media recovery situation, recovering but with unacceptable performance or locking issues probably doesn't really constitute recovery. Now If it can be shown that trashing the index tablespace and rebuilding is generally faster than restoring datafiles and applying logs I might be more convinced but at the moment I'm not so sure. So is this garbage Or not.?

Niall

Author: Niall Litchfield
  INET: niall.litchfield_at_dial.pipex.com