Re: x$ constructs and memory

From: Tanel Poder <tanel.poder.003_at_mail.ee>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 08:19:39 -0800

Hi!

X$ fixed tables are just interfaces to Oracle database and instance memory structures. In my understanding, there are no separate memory structures built only for serving x$ tables, x$ tables just help humans to read existing instance memory and physical structures more easily. Selecting from x$ table doesn't mean only reading and formatting some memory locations, they can have rules associated with them, for example x$ktfbue and x$ktfbfe (LMT used extents and free extents) require selecting from ts$ for example and of course reading relevant bitmap blocks into buffer cache as well.

A lot of memory structures x$ tables reflect are located in SGA fixed area, for example x$ktuxe which a transaction entry table is located there and controlled by init parameter "transactions" or x$ksqeq which should be depenent on enqueue_resources parameter. There's a table called x$ksmmem which is a map for whole SGA, each line mapping a word from SGA memoy. X$ tables aren't restricted to SGA or physical structures only, they can reflect PGA structs for example as well.

Tanel.

Author: Tanel Poder
  INET: tanel.poder.003_at_mail.ee