RE: Logical standby mode - Dataguard - 9.2.0.4

From: Stephane Faroult <sfaroult_at_oriolecorp.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 00:24:39 -0800

>A Basic Qs. On Logical standby mode - Dataguard -
>9.2.0.4 . Is the
>following statement correct ?
>
>>From the Primary Database the DMLs on tables NOT
>having LONG columns are
>successfully applied across to the=20
>
>Logical Standby database while those tables
>containing LONG columns fail
>
>Query to find Objects which are NOT supported ;-
>
>Select * from DBA_LOGSTDBY_UNSUPPORTED;

I have done a number of tests for a customer, although I cannot *swear* I was on 9.2.0.4. All I can say is that, trying to see how things were going on when doing an import, I exported data I didn't know. As it happened, they were LONG columns in it - and I was unaware of it. So, yes, indeed it failed. Not systematically though, since some tables went through. And no, nothing was listed in DBA_LOGSTDBY_UNSUPPORTED. And I also find the statement according to which everything goes well if there is no LONG a tad optimistic, because even with a nominally 'safe' set of data to replicate I had ORA-00600 errors. Looks interesting, promising - and totally immature. The lack of proper monitoring facility is scary (very difficult to say when and why something goes wrong - and you see it at only one end, not both). Except for tests, I shall wait for a stable 10g before playing with logical standby databases again.

Regards,

Stephane Faroult
Oriole

Author: Stephane Faroult