Re: Blocking and locking on 3-tier oracle app

From: M Rafiq <rafiq9857_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 12:49:39 -0800

Tanel,

What is normal overhead for option 2. and repercussion in case of Oracle Financials implementations.

Regards
Rafiq

To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com> Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 04:17:35 -0800

Hi!

  1. You can set idle_time profile option in server, to automatically disconnect sessions idle for some time.
  2. You can set sqlnet.expire_time to some minutes or hours, that Oracle would probe all sessions over some interval and disconnect the ones which don't have a corresponding client anymore
  3. You'r app should commit at the end of transactions, it should not lock too many rows just in case, if possible.

Tanel.

> Hi,
>
> Apologies if this has been asked before, or is a really lame question.
>
> We currently have lots of locking problems running a web-deployed
(J-initiator on Win2k) off-the-shelf application.
> The application is running from an Oracle Forms 6i patch 12 application
server on Windows 2000 sp4 and an Oracle 9iR2 database on Solaris9.

> The problems seem primarily to be caused by "dead" sessions hanging
around
on the database server and holding locks on records.

> Is there anything that can be done about this? Is there a timeout
parameter (or something) that can be set?

> The locks only clear when I manually identify the bad sessions through
enterprise manager and kill them off.

Author: Tanel Poder
   INET: tanel.poder.003_at_mail.ee

Get McAfee virus scanning and cleaning of incoming attachments.  Get Hotmail
Extra Storage!   http://join.msn.com/?PAGE=features/es

Author: M Rafiq
  INET: rafiq9857_at_hotmail.com