Re: RE: "SQL AREA" and "LIBARARY CACHE" size?

From: Tanel Poder <tanel.poder.003_at_mail.ee>
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 02:54:48 -0800

I'd suggest, when possible, not to use any x$ views, but stich with plain old documented ways. That way you'll probably avoid a lot of confusion, especially when database versions might change..

Tanel.

> [...]
> that was causing so much confusion.
> I had earlier calculated the library cache and sql area size from X$ksmsp.
> Please check the size of these component in x$ksmss.
> WHat is difference in both x$ view is little bit confusing.
>
> ORACLE try to calcluate SGASTAT from V$SGASTAT based on below mentioned
> query:
> ===========
> select inst_id,
> '',
> ksmssnam,
> ksmsslen
> from x$ksmfs
> where ksmsslen>1
> union all
> select inst_id,
> 'shared pool',
> ksmssnam,
> sum(ksmsslen)
> from x$ksmss
> where ksmsslen>1
> group by inst_id, 'shared pool', ksmssnam
> union all
> select inst_id,
> 'large pool',
> ksmssnam,
> sum(ksmsslen)
> from x$ksmls
> where ksmsslen>1
> group by inst_id, 'large pool', ksmssnam
> union all
> select inst_id,
> 'java pool',
> ksmssnam,
> ksmsslen
> from x$ksmjs
> where ksmsslen>1
> =====================
> You can see the library cache and sql area size from :
> select inst_id,
> 'shared pool',
> ksmssnam,
> sum(ksmsslen)
> from x$ksmss
> where ksmsslen>1
> group by inst_id, 'shared pool', ksmssnam
>

> ===============
> However at same time when when you you calculate these component from the
> x$ksmsp using below mentioned SQL:
> get different result:
>

> SQL> l
> select
> ksmchcom contents,
> sum(ksmchsiz) total
> from
> sys.x$ksmsp
> where
> inst_id = userenv('Instance')
> group by ksmchcom
>

> With Regards,
> Manoj Kumar Jha
> C-56 , Phase-2
> NOIDA -201305, UP(INDIA)
> Tata Consultancy Services
> Ph No: (+91-120) 4461001 ext : 1037 (Off.)
> Mobile No : 9810090974

> A transcendentalist engaged in auspicious activities does not meet with
> destruction either in this world or in the spiritual world; one who does
> good,
> is never overcome by evil.

> Prem Khanna J
> <jprem_at_kssnet To: Multiple recipients of
list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
> .co.jp> cc:
> Sent by: Subject: Re: RE: "SQL AREA"
and "LIBARARY CACHE" size?
> ml-errors_at_fat
> city.com
>

> 09/26/03
> 01:39 PM
> Please
> respond to
> ORACLE-L
>

> Hi Manoj,
>
> this is the statistics i got from one of my instance.
> sql area 225 MB
> library cache 112 MB
>
> I was also confused as u were [ i didn't notice this so far ].
> but reading the replies of Tanel & Steve once again:
>
> <tanel>
> But what Steve meant (please correct me if I'm wrong), is that operations
> on
> sql areas are managed by library cache structures (library cache latch,
KGL
> manager, lib cache hash table, etc), so sql area is dependent on library
> cache, despite the fact they both have memory allocated directly from
> shared pool.
> </tanel>
>
> from this (and as per the docs) i understand that sql area is a subset of
> library cache.
> perhaps,what "subset" means is:
> in terms of the control library cache has over sql area and not in terms
> of memory allocated.
> is my understanding correct, Tanel ?
>
> <steve>
> My best guess at the moment is that when new recreatable chunks are first
> unpinned,
> they go onto the transient list, and then when they have been reused, they
> go back
> onto the recurrent list.
> </steve>
>
> ..and reading this post by Steve,i feel there is something more(a lot)
that
> we need to
> know/understand to discuss about this.
>
> Can Steve/Tanel/List explain me what is transient chunk & recurrent chunk
?

> Regards,
> Jp.
>
> P.S.Thanx Naveen.

> Author: Prem Khanna J
> INET: jprem_at_kssnet.co.jp

> DISCLAIMER: The information contained in this message is intended only and
> solely for the addressed individual or entity indicated in this message
and
> for the exclusive use of the said addressed individual or entity indicated
> in this message (or responsible for delivery of the message to such
person)
> and may contain legally privileged and confidential information belonging
> to Tata Consultancy Services. It must not be printed, read, copied,
> disclosed, forwarded, distributed or used (in whatsoever manner) by any
> person other than the addressee. Unauthorized use, disclosure or copying
is
> strictly prohibited and may constitute unlawful act and can possibly
> attract legal action, civil and/or criminal. The contents of this message
> need not necessarily reflect or endorse the views of Tata Consultancy
> Services on any subject matter. Any action taken or omitted to be taken
> based on this message is entirely at your risk and neither the originator
> of this message nor Tata Consultancy Services takes any responsibility or
> liability towards the same. Opinions, conclusions and any other
information
> contained in this message that do not relate to the official business of
> Tata Consultancy Services shall be understood as neither given nor
endorsed
> by Tata Consultancy Services or any affiliate of Tata Consultancy
Services.

Author: Tanel Poder
  INET: tanel.poder.003_at_mail.ee