RE: guidance

From: DENNIS WILLIAMS <DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 13:59:50 -0800

I took the 8i Performance exam a little while back and I think my book is by the same author as yours (Jason Couchman). I found that it gave a really good feel for the level of the exam. In fact, I did better on the actual exam than on the practice exams. As far as the many views/columns/parameters, the key is to figure out which ones are considered key by the test authors. There may be 100 views you could use, but can you identify the 3-4 key views to quickly performing performance tuning? The other key is the fact that the exam is taken from the Oracle Education class notes by Oracle Education instructors, so if you can get your hands on them, you're ahead of the game. Again, the class certainly won't cover 100 views/columns/parameters, but the notes will help you identify the ones that Oracle Education consider key. And it isn't like a college entrance examination where a failure will doom you to a career in the custodial industry. After 3 passing scores you are entitled to risk failure.

Dennis Williams
DBA, 80%OCP, 100% DBA
Lifetouch, Inc.
dwilliams_at_lifetouch.com