Re: Upgrade Plans

From: KENNETH JANUSZ <kjanusz_at_att.net>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 11:49:53 -0800

Dennis:

Thanks for the information. I pretty much have these items in mind, what I'm looking for are some things that I may have missed. I'm interviewing for an Oracle DBA position and they have a big project starting after the first of the year to move / upgrade their Oracle application / DB to new servers. So, when I go in for a hopeful interview next week I can speak with some intelligence.

Ken

> Ken
> Having gone through this numerous times, I don't think there is such a
> thing as a detailed plan that has any use beyond the immediate task. I
would
> concentrate first of all on your philosophical approach, the principles on
> which you work. Here are some ideas:
> - Create a staging/QA server for each production server that is identical
> as possible to production. I like to create the Oracle database from
backups
> so I get a chance to verify my backups at the same time.
> - Have a complete set of data for the staging database. I've seen several
> problems that were not replicated with only a portion of the data.
> - Perform the exact steps in staging that you will be performing in
> production and take careful notes. Repeat if any problems are encountered.
> - Always have a backout plan for any production action. I find a lot of
> comfort in a cold backup of the entire system.
> - As much as possible, change only one component at a time. That is, only
> upgrade the O.S., give the system a few weeks to shake out, then upgrade
the
> DB, and so on. Then when a strange problem arises you know which vendor to
> go to first.
> - Stick to versions certified by the vendors. Only use an Oracle version
> certified for that version of the O.S. and application.
> - Decide your approach to applying patches. Typically patches are tested
> much less thoroughly than overall releases. So some sites only apply
patches
> if they are experiencing problems the patch will fix. Other sites believe
in
> applying all patches as soon as they are released.
> - Then there will be a bunch of steps related to your specific situation.
> All I know is to get as many people involved as possible to minimize the
> chance that something is overlooked. And if something does get overlooked,
> people won't get nearly as upset if you kept them in the loop so they had
> chance to raise issues as if you left them out.
> - Promise the users that the downtime will be more than you expect.
Better

Author: KENNETH JANUSZ
  INET: kjanusz_at_att.net