re : cccp,sap, clustering

From: <Jared.Still_at_radisys.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 10:39:58 -0800

Interesting, we hadn't considered setting up 2 Oracle homes on shared disk.

Had we considered that, we would have likely still gone to a separate oracle
home per node. These servers are running SAP, and SAP is the micro managing
PHB of the COTS world. Changing OHOME can be non-trivial with SAP.

Jared

Piet de Visser <piet.de.visser_at_logicacmg.com> Sent by: ml-errors_at_fatcity.com
 09/25/2003 04:14 AM
 Please respond to ORACLE-L

        To:     Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
        cc:
        Subject:        re : cccp,sap, clustering

Jared, Group,

briefly : my preferred cluster has 4 or more machines, with a single oracle-home installed on the SAN. Optionally: a physical standby system of 2 or more machines with stdby db running, lgwr for transport, in max-avail-mode.

a second oracle_home will be kept on the same san, but will be silent/unused during normal operations.

Only on upgrades or tests will the 2nd ora-home be mounted to 1 of the nodes, so the upgrade can be performed. when upgrade is deemed a success, all other nodes will 1-by-1 stop, unmount-ohome, re-mount the patched ohome, and business continues as usual.
When the last node is up for patch,
we can either san-snap the new ohome,
upgrade manually, or keep it for a while, to please damanagement with a rollback option.

Alternatively, the standby-db can be used for a "running-upgrade", but this process is much more complex.

Guiding principles:

Doubts: how many nodes or databases can realistically be served by 1 ohome on 1 single filesystem. Have one cust who plans to run 5+ databases on a 2-node cluster. Go explain the options for growth...

When I tried to re-start an OFA discussion, some weeks back (Thank Tim, for nice reply), this was one of the items I wanted to try and shove INTO the STANDARD,
or at least, discuss with some bright and experienced minds.

Regards,

PdV
Oracle DBA, and Certified.
You figure out the rest.

Author: Piet de Visser
  INET: piet.de.visser_at_logicacmg.com

  INET: Jared.Still_at_radisys.com

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Thu Sep 25 2003 - 13:39:58 CDT