Re: Oracle Compress Option

From: Tanel Poder <tanel.poder.003_at_mail.ee>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 06:34:40 -0800

RE: Oracle Compress OptionHm, interesting...

How does your active-active config work, do you have write activity on all nodes? I'd be interested in any performance issues you had or currently have... Have you partitioned your application or data usage somehow? What kind of interconnect you're using?

Tanel.

  Waleed, I get your point ...

  We have 6 RAC instances that run active-active ... and compared to availability requirements, we (incl management) decided that disk is cheap.

  I guess it is relative ...

  Raj

  Rajendra dot Jamadagni at nospamespn dot com   All Views expressed in this email are strictly personal.   QOTD: Any clod can have facts, having an opinion is an art !     -----Original Message-----
    From: Khedr, Waleed [mailto:Waleed.Khedr_at_FMR.COM]     Sent: Thursday, September 25, 2003 9:35 AM     To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L     Subject: RE: Oracle Compress Option

    Disk is not cheap if you pay for high availability configuration. I compress historical data on daily basis and was able to save 70 percent of the disk space. Imagine the amount of savings for five TB.

    Two major issues:

  1. Oracle says updates will be slow on compressed tables, but I say don't even try to update a compressed table, uncompress first otherwise you will end up with a segment that is not good at all for scattered reads.
  2. You can not add columns to the table when it's compressed, so if you compressed a big table and need a new column you need to recreate the table without compression. So adding many extra columns before compression is a good idea.

    It's mainly good for data warehouses applications.

    Regards,

    Waleed

Author: Tanel Poder
  INET: tanel.poder.003_at_mail.ee