RE: Oracle Compress Option

From: Khedr, Waleed <Waleed.Khedr_at_FMR.COM>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 05:34:43 -0800

Disk is not cheap if you pay for high availability configuration. I compress historical data on daily basis and was able to save 70 percent of the disk space. Imagine the amount of savings for five TB.

Two major issues:

  1. Oracle says updates will be slow on compressed tables, but I say don't even try to update a compressed table, uncompress first otherwise you will end up with a segment that is not good at all for scattered reads.
  2. You can not add columns to the table when it's compressed, so if you compressed a big table and need a new column you need to recreate the table without compression. So adding many extra columns before compression is a good idea.

It's mainly good for data warehouses applications.

Author: Khedr, Waleed
  INET: Waleed.Khedr_at_FMR.COM

Fat City Network Services    -- 858-538-5051