RE: OFA and Shared Storage

From: Matthew Zito <mzito_at_gridapp.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 08:09:39 -0800

EMC storage is very reliable, no question. However, I have personally seen terrible SAN disasters on many vendors' SANs, but most of them on EMC (since I worked for them). Without going into specifics, the SAN problems I've seen were caused by (in rough order):

  1. human error - changing SANs tends to be a heavily manual operations, with a huge margin for error. Plus the portion of the IT population that understands the care and feeding of SANs is negligible.
  2. Firmware bugs in hardware - there have been some truly horrific firmware bugs in storage equipment, especially fibre channel switches.
  3. Operating system/driver bugs - there's a lot of crummy code out there in general, I suppose

As an aside, this is also almost the identical list that I have for the major reasons I've seen organizations instantiate Disaster Recovery procedures - an actual disaster is almost never the reason.

The moral of the story is, while YMMV, I would always keep copies of truly critical things like redo logs, control files, etc. elsewhere, ideally on something completely disparate. Of course, the more disparate the "something" is, the harder it is to manage and while less prone to hardware error, is more prone to human error. So maybe the moral of the story is that you can't win?

:)

Thanks,
Matt

--
Matthew Zito
GridApp Systems

-- Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ: http://www.orafaq.net -- Author: Matthew Zito INET: mzito_at_gridapp.com Fat City Network Services -- 858-538-5051 http://www.fatcity.com San Diego, California -- Mailing list and web hosting services --------------------------------------------------------------------- To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing).