RE: Hiding passwords

From: Wolfgang Breitling <breitliw_at_centrexcc.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 17:44:39 -0800

How about:

setlocal & pushd
@echo off
call oraenv stats
@for /f %%I in ('pwc.pl') do (

   set MY_PASSWORD=%%I
   )
@sqlplus scott/%MY_PASSWORD% @test.sql
popd & endlocal

I don't have the password server configured, so my pwc.pl simply is hardcoded to return tiger:

#!c:\perl\bin\perl.exe -w
print "tiger";

and test.sql is just "select user from dual;"

C:\tmp>test

C:\tmp>setlocal & pushd
Environment variable oracle_home not defined

SQL*Plus: Release 8.1.7.0.0 - Production on Tue Sep 23 18:32:24 2003

(c) Copyright 2000 Oracle Corporation. All rights reserved.

Connected to:
Oracle8i Enterprise Edition Release 8.1.7.4.1 - Production With the Partitioning option
JServer Release 8.1.7.4.1 - Production

scott                          September 23, 2003
define "&" (hex 26)

USER

SCOTT 1 row selected.

Disconnected from Oracle8i Enterprise Edition Release 8.1.7.4.1 - Production With the Partitioning option
JServer Release 8.1.7.4.1 - Production

C:\tmp>

granted, it is not quite as elegant as "MY_PASSWORD=$(pwc.pl ..." but it gets the job done.

And it does not work in Windows (95/98) Dos, but in NT and W2K, which you need to run Oracle server anyways.

Author: Wolfgang Breitling
  INET: breitliw_at_centrexcc.com