RE: Hiding passwords

From: Wolfgang Breitling <>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 17:44:39 -0800

How about:

setlocal & pushd
@echo off
call oraenv stats
@for /f %%I in ('') do (

   set MY_PASSWORD=%%I
@sqlplus scott/%MY_PASSWORD% @test.sql
popd & endlocal

I don't have the password server configured, so my simply is hardcoded to return tiger:

#!c:\perl\bin\perl.exe -w
print "tiger";

and test.sql is just "select user from dual;"

C:\tmp>setlocal & pushd
Environment variable oracle_home not defined

SQL*Plus: Release - Production on Tue Sep 23 18:32:24 2003

(c) Copyright 2000 Oracle Corporation. All rights reserved.

Connected to:
Oracle8i Enterprise Edition Release - Production With the Partitioning option
JServer Release - Production

scott                          September 23, 2003
define "&" (hex 26)

SCOTT 1 row selected.

Disconnected from Oracle8i Enterprise Edition Release - Production With the Partitioning option
JServer Release - Production

granted, it is not quite as elegant as "MY_PASSWORD=$( ..." but it gets the job done.

And it does not work in Windows (95/98) Dos, but in NT and W2K, which you need to run Oracle server anyways.

Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ:
Author: Wolfgang Breitling

Fat City Network Services    -- 858-538-5051