RE: Hiding passwords

From: <Jared.Still_at_radisys.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 13:59:44 -0800

Paul,

Any chance these scripts could be run from Cygwin, Uwin, MKS Toolkit, or anything that will let you use a korn shell?

That would simplify things tremendously.

One of the problems with Windohs is that you cannot execute a script or program so that it can return a value to a local environment variable.

That ability would make this task simple from command.com.

Another possibility is to put your passwords in the registry, restrict that
portion of the registry, ( or the whole thing ), and use a Perl script to retrieve
the passwords and kick off the other jobs.

What I do in linux is use a password server ( as seen in "Perl for Oracle DBA's")
and retrieve the password across the network, encrypted of course.

This works on windows as well, though you're there restricted to doing this
strictly from within the Perl script.

Jared

PSherman_at_Bacou-Dalloz.com
Sent by: ml-errors_at_fatcity.com
 09/23/2003 01:49 PM
 Please respond to ORACLE-L

        To:     Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
        cc:
        Subject:        RE: Hiding passwords

Tom,

As Dave Barry would say, Har!

Unfortunately, we are talking about 3rd-party people who have the 'right' to log in for support (debugging their ^%(^#@ products, and installing updates). I've got them under local admin accounts (as opposed to domain accounts), so they can only get to their own servers. BUT... that's as far as I can go to secure things except at the folder level (and Oracle loves it (!) when you try and do folder security on the datafiles, controlfiles, etc.). I appreciate the thought, but you did not go far enough... Kill them all, and save on security hardware. Any workable ideas?

Desperately yours,

Paul R. Sherman
DBA/Sr. Appl. Analyst
Bacou-Dalloz
office - 401-232-1200 x200
cell - 401-935-2802

"Mercadante, Thomas F" <NDATFM_at_labor.state.ny.us>
Sent by: ml-errors_at_fatcity.com
09/23/2003 04:24 PM
Please respond to ORACLE-L

        To:        Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L
<ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
        cc:

Paul,

It's simple really. Do not allow them to log-on to the Win2k server - don't give them an account; keep the passwords secret; and keep the machine in a locked room.

Tom Mercadante
Oracle Certified Professional
Author: O'Neill, Sean
INET: Sean.ONeill_at_organon.ie