RE: COGNOS BI tools against an Oracle DB

From: Mercadante, Thomas F <NDATFM_at_labor.state.ny.us>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 11:54:54 -0800

IT - Database (Do Not Use),

(or whatever your name *really* is!!!)

We use COGNOS here against our 8i and 9i databases, OLTP's and Warehouses. Cubes are created by the COGNOS administrators (not DBA's). The only thing that DBA's do is provide access via Oracle Roles to the various database objects (tables, views or MV's).

Since the queries are built by Cognos, there is not much tuning we can do except to provide indexes where needed.

And I agree that you have no control over what they will be doing. You could argue that you should be allowed to create MV's for them, but this is an endless frustrating task if they "do not kow what data they will be looking at".

Good luck, oh anonymous person.

Tom Mercadante
Oracle Certified Professional

Author: IT - Database (Do Not Use)
  INET: dbamail_at_police.edmonton.ab.ca

Author: Mercadante, Thomas F
  INET: NDATFM_at_labor.state.ny.us
To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Tue Sep 23 2003 - 14:54:54 CDT