RE: What is a large database?

From: <Jared.Still_at_radisys.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 11:19:43 -0800

It seems that DBA's with poor skills is not limited to any particular locale.

After all, people are pretty much the same in regards to personal motivations, regardless of nationality.

We're all equally plagued by folks with a less than adequate skill set and knowledge of systems they purport to be expert in.

Fortunately for us, there are a number of people on this list that are very gifted, talented and hard working, as well as willing to share their expertise.

Jared

Suhen Pather <suhen.pather_at_marcglobal.com.au> Sent by: ml-errors_at_fatcity.com
 09/23/2003 12:29 AM
 Please respond to ORACLE-L

        To:     Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
        cc:
        Subject:        RE: What is a large database?

I think there are many *poorly skilled* Oracle DBA's in Australia. I had one of my clients sugest increasing the Oracle log_buffer to 10MB. His claim is since the box has sufficient amount of memory "why not use a very large log buffer".
I do not think he reads the oracle docs very well and he knows when LGWR writes to the redo log files.
This was after I recommended changing an Oracle system disk configuration from RAID 5 ( 4 disks)
which includes the Windows OS on the same RAID 5 array to using a RAID 1 for the OS
and multiple standalone and RAID 1 disks for Oracle. Sugesting RAID 1 and standalone disks since there
are not enough disks that can fit into the array. Client does not want to spend $$$ so they have only
a 5 disk array that we could use for Oracle. Surpising enough the write cache on the disk array was set to 0 and 100% for the read cache on this particular
RAID 5 system which does lots of small writes for the application making things even worse.
The DBA also sugested "but the BCHR is 99.7% which means that blah , blah , blah and in Oracle terms performance is very good". It could be clearly seen from the Windows performance monitors and statspack that the IO sub system
was being stressed and the only way to improve performance was to re arrange the disks to reduce the
contention between the various processes contending for IO resources. And get rid of the RAID 5 configuration.
Another thing that came up in my furious conversation with them was "but the disks has enough capacity blah blah blah, why do we need additional disks".
I had to explain the concepts of RAID and how bad RAID 5 is for write performance esp when the datafiles, redo logs, archives, control files and OS is on the same RAID 5 array. No offense to any Oracle DBA in Australia as we all know there are some excellent DBA's here like Connor, Steve, Mark Gurry, Guy Harrison, Nuno Sunto, Howard Rogers, etc, etc.... Anyway that was some humour I thought I should share with the list since we were on the topic of talented DBA's in Australia. Regards
Suhen

Author: Nuno Souto
  INET: nsouto_at_optusnet.com.au
Author: Craig Munday