Re: Hiding passwords

From: Tanel Poder <tanel.poder.003_at_mail.ee>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 06:44:47 -0800

Why not just restrict access to these scripts using file permissions? Oh, if your problem is that everyone can log on to this user under which all of your server processes and scripts run, then forget it, you can't ever achieve what you want if you don't have even basic security.

An alternative for using passwords would be using OS authentication.

Tanel.

> So the story goes like this. We're a NT/W2K shop. We have various
scripts
> that run DB related jobs but these are in plain text and we'd like to
"hide"
> these passwords in some way to allow scripts to run but the passwords not
be
> "visible" to potential prying eyes. Has anyone cracked this one yet.
I've

Author: Tanel Poder
  INET: tanel.poder.003_at_mail.ee