Re: asynch I/O

From: Tim Gorman <tim_at_sagelogix.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2003 13:14:38 -0800

Dick,

With all due respect, I'd like to interject. Due to the many levels of abstraction imposed by the various RAID schemes, volume managers, dynamic multi-pathing, file-systems, and databases, my eyes tend to cross whenever someone starts talking about the movements of the disk heads, rotational latency, and so forth. The perception of "contiguousness" in a file-system or database datafile on a modern server in relation to disk surfaces is purely illusory.

It is somewhat akin to the idea that every US dollar bill is backed by a sliver from a gold bar deep in the bowels of Ft Knox -- the facts are much more complex, by design.

Your other comments about WAFL's side-effects are interesting and thought-provoking. It's been a few years since I've worked on NetApp and just this week I was called in to help improve performance on a large Oracle environment over NetApp. At this point, I'm glad that I had not blurted out my long-standing misgivings about the product, as it seems that its ability to support higher volumes of I/O from Oracle has improved. It just requires different methods of administration and configuration. It's not your grandfather's file-system, that's for sure...

Respectfully,

-Tim

Author: Tim Gorman
  INET: tim_at_sagelogix.com