RE: Re: max parallel query

From: Goulet, Dick <DGoulet_at_vicr.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2003 09:49:51 -0800

Matt,

	Question: What else do you have running on your Fiber Channel?  Answer: Nothing
	Question: What do you have running on your TCP/IP network?      Answer: Everything.

	For this one can see that a SAN's fiber channel is dedicated to handling data from one server to it's storage.  Sure you can attach part of your SAN to the network to act as a NAS file system, but the SAN switch handles that separately from the servers so that one does not get in the way of the other.  Therefore when some lummox decides to download that 1GB MPG file from the internet, his traffic does not get in the way of your database working with it's files.  "Divide & Conquer" still has it's place.

Dick Goulet
Senior Oracle DBA
Oracle Certified 8i DBA