Re: Oracle's use of Indexes

From: Mark Richard <mrichard_at_transurban.com.au>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 16:49:51 -0800

Does the query hit any other tables? If so, a different statistic somewhere else might be influencing the optimisor. Otherwise certain session / init parameters can influence the optimisor (multiblock read count, block size even) - Sometimes it can be difficult to track down the culprit but you should be able to find differences somewhere.

                      Craig Munday
                      <cmunday_at_bigpond.        To:       Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
                      net.au>                  cc:
                      Sent by:                 Subject:  Re: Oracle's use of Indexes
                      ml-errors_at_fatcity
                      .com

                      19/09/2003 00:54
                      Please respond to
                      ORACLE-L

Craig,

Just out of interest, what type of application is running on the database? I was just wondering why you were not using the plan stability features in 8i on your production database.

Regards,
Craig Munday.

Author: Craig Munday
  INET: cmunday_at_bigpond.net.au

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<---->>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
   Privileged/Confidential information may be contained in this message.
          If you are not the addressee indicated in this message
       (or responsible for delivery of the message to such person),
            you may not copy or deliver this message to anyone.
In such case, you should destroy this message and kindly notify the sender
           by reply e-mail or by telephone on (61 3) 9612-6999.
   Please advise immediately if you or your employer does not consent to
                Internet e-mail for messages of this kind.
        Opinions, conclusions and other information in this message
              that do not relate to the official business of
                         Transurban City Link Ltd
         shall be understood as neither given nor endorsed by it.

Privileged/Confidential information may be contained in this message.
If you are not the addressee indicated in this message (or responsible for delivery of the message to such person), you may not copy or deliver this message to anyone.
In such a case, you should destroy this message and kindly notify the sender by reply e-mail or by telephone on (03) 9612-6999 or (61) 3 9612-6999.
Please advise immediately if you or your employer does not consent to Internet e-mail for messages of this kind.
Opinions, conclusions and other information in this message that do not relate to the official business of Transurban Infrastructure Developments Limited and CityLink Melbourne Limited shall be understood as neither given nor endorsed by them.

Author: Mark Richard
  INET: mrichard_at_transurban.com.au