RE: Backup controlfile does not include ALTER TABLESPACE ...

From: Hemant K Chitale <hkchital_at_singnet.com.sg>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 07:29:57 -0800

A backup controlfile allows me to do Point-in-Time or Incomplete Recovery. This I have to do when

  1. I am cloning a database from a Hot Backup and cannot afford to shutdown the source database to copy the active controlfile and online redologs
  2. If I have lost ALL my files in the source database.

The backup controlfile does give me the full structure in terms of datafiles. Therefore, it allows me to apply as many archivelogs as I have available. Unfortunately, it does not include the ALTER commands to add tempfiles back. *That* is my issue.

Hemant

Author: Hemant K Chitale
  INET: hkchital_at_singnet.com.sg