RE: middle tier centric application

From: Goulet, Dick <DGoulet_at_vicr.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 07:34:39 -0800

        I'll agree with Tom Kyte to a point. Caching database rows in the middle tier is a bad idea since you have no idea if they've been changed at the database level by another non three tier application, read that as SQL*Plus for instance. To get around these "problems" WebLogic & it's similar variants have to query the database to see if the row in cache is the same as the row in the database (column by column) & then either process the update requested by the end user or send a incomprehensible error message back. YUCK!! At a minimum this results is twice the amount of data being sent between the middle tier server and the database, how inefficient!! Now if your going to cache an entire "panel" as PeopleSoft calls them which are composed of several rows of data from tables that change infrequently that's not such a bad idea, although with some of the fun we've had recently with cached panels becoming corrupt I may well change my mind.

        BTW, Java Beans are fairly flexible and portable so he's not onto a bad idea. But as with any programming language you can easily program yourself into some very nasty corners. One should not use those "containers" for more than their meant to do and caching data is not one of those purposes.

Dick Goulet
Senior Oracle DBA
Oracle Certified 8i DBA

Author: <rgaffuri_at_cox.net
  INET: rgaffuri_at_cox.net

Author: Goulet, Dick
  INET: DGoulet_at_vicr.com
To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Tue Sep 16 2003 - 10:34:39 CDT