Re: Re: "Application DBA"

From: Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_optusnet.com.au>
Date: Thu, 04 Sep 2003 08:29:32 -0800

For an "application DBA"? Exactly which part of the degree or OCP prepares or qualifies one for such a job specification? Matter of fact, where is "application DBA" defined in Oracle education or any other IT education organization? Which courses from Oracle prepare one for that? While we're there, I wish someone explained the same for "database architect". Or "architect", for that matter.

As soon as someone does, and how can the OCP certification prepare one for everything up to and including the second coming, I'll go for it. Until then, I just see it as a low-life exploitation scheme to milk even more $$$ out of the customer base. Sorry if I sound cynical, but that's it.

As I said: I'm open to an explanation. Never received it.

Now, here: there are a few idiots around who insist that everyone working in a 9ir2 project must be OCP and have at least 5 years 9ir2 experience. They are the same that will insist on 5 years of 10g experience as soon as it comes out. As well as of course OCP. And that's for a job spec of code cutter.

There are also those of course who don't give a damn, provided the person is an el-cheapo third-world recent arrival who can be had for peanuts and will accept any salary anyway. Usually these are the ones that run a project with 10 "code cutters" and 20 "DBA"s. Heck, "DBA"s can be sold for a much higher margin than a "code cutter"!

And preciously next to nothing in between.

<pessimistic moah? Narh, just been there, done that and seen it all over again. It's all a sham.> Cheers
Nuno Souto
nsouto_at_optusnet.com.au

Author: Nuno Souto
  INET: nsouto_at_optusnet.com.au